This week has been an extremely fun and tiring time; I still can’t believe I am in Brazil sometimes. The food here is absolutely incredible and fresh. I can’t imagine eating fruit that tastes better than I have been able to enjoy in this incredible place. They use lots of vegetables, spices, and fruits, in so many of their dishes, the flavors are each unique. I have been trying to also try different juices whenever I can even though most of the time I have no idea what the fruit even looks like. Being adventurous and willing to try almost anything here has been one of my goals for this trip so that I can truly experience all their culture has to offer.
We had our first language lesson in my apartment because the living room is the largest and easiest for everyone to fit in. This was an interesting and challenging experience to say the least. For one, it made me realize that I know more Spanish then I thought I did, and two that Portuguese pronunciation is absolutely nothing like Spanish. Practicing Portuguese hasn’t been an easy task, but I am trying which is the most important part, or at least I would like to think so.
Friday was full of fun in the sun and fun in the clouds. We had a meeting at my apartment in the morning followed by an afternoon at the beach in Copacabana. The USA game was on during that time so we watched it by the beach at one of the stands where they sells some coconut juice, pastels, and many other Brazilian goodies. Televisions are everywhere and soccer is the main event during the world cup; Brazilians love their futbol.
When we were at the beach on Friday we had bought a soccer ball and were just kicking and juggling around; I absolutely love soccer. The water seemed a little bit cold, but when you were in it for a little while it was just fine. The sand is perfect expect that it gets everywhere; I love how it feels between my toes.
After the beach we were supposed to shower and change, but Megan and I were locked out of our apartment by the cleaning ladies because they locked both locks and we only took one of the keys. Instead, we had to wear the same wet clothes to meet with our group and go to our next destination. It was slightly uncomfortable and a little cold, but turned out to be fine.
We went to this mountain known as “Sugar Loaf” and you could see the entire city and all the buildings and towns. This view was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. When we went up to the top, we were covered in fog so we couldn’t see below, but when the clouds finally passed, you could see “Christ the Redeemer” across the way as it was lit up and coming out of the clouds. We went into areas that seemed like you were in a rain forest and I felt as though I could be there forever; it was so peaceful.
Friday night continued to bring even more fun to our adventures. We went to the nightlife area of “Lapa” where you can listen to music and also dance to the Samba group that is playing. We had some drinks and then some of the group got up and danced. I joined them soon after and although dancing is my biggest fear; I had a lot of fun. Tomilyn tried to teach me a few tips and she was extremely helpful; she made me feel much more comfortable. About half of the group wanted to leave, but Tomilyn, Megan, Olavo, and I decided to stay till almost closing time. Being surrounded by the music, the dancing, and the people was an entirely new experience. Although we encountered some interesting people during this time and were not completely welcomed by some for being “Americans”, everything was enjoyable nonetheless.
Saturday we went as a group to a place called Santa Theresa, which was a cute place with shops and authentic food. We ate and then walked around and explored the different shops before returning to Copacabana. Later that evening we made dinner again in our apartment. There was pasta, tomato sauce, chicken, ground beef, bruschetta, and watermelon. Tomilyn and I made a vanilla flavored cake with pineapple and banana mixed in, and then topped with fresh mango. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal and enjoy each other’s company.
The new week is beginning and we have lots of plans to visit many schools and meet with various persons involved in Brazilian education. Before more of the work, Sunday is going to be more time to play and experience Brazil. I will be going to a new church tomorrow morning at 9 am and again like last week not understand the Portuguese, but still enjoy the mass and listening to the music. The church we went to last week was beautiful and older, whereas tomorrow’s church is more modern for Rio. After mass Olavo and I will be going to play soccer on the beach I think. Apparently not very many/none that I have seen yet girls play soccer here, but you see lots of boys playing on the beach. Hopefully I don’t disappoint myself and have fun playing tomorrow morning with the Brazilians. When I have seen them playing on the beach, they are such talented players, I’m nervous to see how everything turns out.
The Brazil verse Ivory Coast game is tomorrow at 3:30 so we will be going early to the Fifa Fan Fest tent and be involved in all of the excitement. I have never been around so many people who love soccer and take so much pride in their country. I will be wearing my green and yellow to support BRASIL!
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment